March 17, 2003
How to promote your dating website. Basic DOs and DON'Ts.
What are the best, legitimate steps to promote your dating website and attract traffic? How to avoid search engines' penalties? This articles suggests basic tips about what you should and shouldn't do.
There are two points of equal importance - "How to make your dating website popular" and "How to increase popularity and not loose everything".
1. Care to buy a top level domain name. Even though there are lots of domain extensions, you best choice is .com, because many of your site's visitors will remember you domain name, and will try to type it with .com next time. Think of a short, easy to remember domain name, which will fit your company name and type of your services. Good place to purchase a domain name is Godaddy. They offer domain names for under $9 a year.
2. Find reliable and fast hosting provider for your site. Free hosting won't do any good for you, because they don't provide fast connection speed and have to big downtime. Search engines may drop your site with such hosting very fast. We recommend HostForWeb Linux Hosting. And don't forget to refer to us when subscribing (our username is lovecomp).
3. Think of what content and what services exactly you are going to present and care to update your site frequently and add unique and valuable contend as often as you can.
5. Create wise (!) cross-linked structure. All of your pages must be easily accessible and on the same hand placing all your links on every page won't do any good. Sitemap is always a good idea.
6. Static pages do best! Yes, you must have heard that search engines start indexing dynamic pages better and better, but be sure that they are trying to APPROACH the easy and friendliness of static pages. Why wait? Go static!
7. Decide what keywords you are going to target and promote your site for. This is a very important step, because you must find words and phrases that deliver good traffic and have low competition. Then place your keywords into your title tag, description tag, keywords tag and several times in the text of your page.
8. Submit your site to major directories like DMOZ, Yahoo (this will cost you $299 a year), JoeAnt, GoGuides and dating specific directories - List of Dating Directories.
9. Exchange link with other dating websites. Choose only good, well-structured websites that will be interesting for your visitor. Think as visitor and ask yourself if you would go to this site, and if yes, then write a polite letter asking webmaster to exchange links with you. Remember that you should set a link to this site on your LINKS page first. Ask to place your keywords in the text of the link - this will help you with search engines.
10. Make your contacts easily available and manage your website every day, answer all letters, add content, explore, investigate, share your knowledge, find partners, ask questions and eventually you will see your income grow.
1. Never try to cheat search engines. You think you found a unique, legitimate and unknown way to boost your search engines position? Forget about it! High traffic comes with hard work. Even in case you grab a few apples with a new trick, your site will get banned from major search engines very fast and for really long time (I am talking about years). Say no to any "link popularity improvements", "links to you", "cloaking", "doorway/gateway/whateverway pages", "FFA/link farm pages", etc. Your success is 100% Do It Yourself. Otherwise, nobody will give a rat ass when you find your site gone from all search engines at once.
2. Forget about automatic submissions. In fact they will not help; they may only ruin your chances. Even hand submission to search engines won't help. All you need is a few links from other good, reputable sites and ALL search engines will find you and will rank your site better than in case you spam them with submission requests.
3. Don't copy content from other sites to yours. If you want to refer to certain text, link to it. If you copy others' articles, texts, etc your site is likely to be penalizes for duplicate content.
4. Don't send mass mailings (SPAM). Everyone hates it, we hate it, and you must hate it. SPAM doesn't work. SPAM destroys your brand forever.
5. Don't link to sites that have nothing to do with your site's content. You must place only relevant link, otherwise your site will be considered a link farm and will be dropped by search engines.
6. Never place hidden or very small text on your page this is a well known (by search engines) SPAM technique.
7. Heavy and senseless interlinking of several sites will heart a lot. Don't try to buy hundreds of domains and interlink them. This won't help. Only managed, content-rich sites gain high traffic.
8. Don't beg for links. It is a reason to be reported. If webmaster doesn't want to link to you, improve your content and look for another site to swap links.
9. Don't try to optimize your pages for keywords that are not relevant to your content. First, you will not sell anything to "wrong" visitors, and second, it is SPAM.
10. Don't seek easy and fast ways. They are all wrong.
Posted by LC at March 17, 2003 03:20 AM